Tuesday, September 4, 2012

La Rentrée--Back to School

Today is the girls' first day of school.   Here are some photos from the annual back to school photo shoot.   Sylvia will join Lillian around the corner at the elementary school.  Sylvia is in CP (grade 1) and Lillian is in CE2 (grade 3).  This year, they are going to stay for lunch a couple of days each week.  Today they came home for lunch and so far, so good.  Sylvia said her teacher was strict.  Lillian was not sure she was going to give her teacher the cookies we baked because it seemed "kind of babyish."  She was going to wait and see if anyone else gave the teacher something first. 
 
 
Scholarly sisters
Pierre has his helmet so that he can hop on one of Paris' commuter bikes and go off to work.  You can spot the North Americans because they are the only ones wearing helmets.
 
 
Our street is busy and so is our walk to school.  We are now slightly less likely to be hit by a car or run into people on the sidewalk than we were when we first arrived.



I thought that if we gave the teachers cookies that they might have a good first impression.  Sylvia has 25 kids in her class and I think Lillian has 32.  Lillian didn't know the name of her teacher at lunchtime.  When I tried to ask the woman guarding the door if I could find out what class my daughter was in, I was told firmly that I could wait until the end of the day. 
 The parents of the new (CP) students were allowed in the building.  It was complete chaos.  We did eventually find the list with Sylvia's name on it.  Lillian started a half hour earlier and we were not allowed to accompany her.  I am very proud of her because I can only imagine the chaos.
 
The first day of CP for Miss Argentina and Miss Canada

Bonne Rentrée tout le monde! 

 

1 comment:

  1. No offense to you or to us, really, but, man, that is a really cool name for back-to-school. Rather than an image of fat Americans slouching with their Trapper Keepers and colored pencils, I see La Rentree: throngs of Parisiens, topless, riding stallions and holding various weaponry aloft, charge through the street, returning to commence their learning.

    Amid this, I'm glad that Pierre is protecting his important skull.

    ReplyDelete