Thursday, April 26, 2012

Museum National D'Histoire Naturelle and more rain

Despite my choice of the longest possible route by Metro to the Museum, we did (eventually) make it  to the Museum National D'Histoire Naturelle.  On the Metro on the way there, I had a chance to take a good look at the map and the trip home was much shorter.  The rain continues to fall and the girls were great sports.  We skirted the Jardin des Plantes and I saw the sign for the museum.  We were blown through the door, unfolded our umbrellas, and looked up at the guard.  He looked perplexed.  I told him we were looking for the museum.  We were in the museum's library and headed back outdoors to find the right entrance.  It was a busy day and we had to wait outside in the gale for several more minutes.  We were very happy to get inside.



The museum is immense and divided into three main areas: The Diversity of Life, The Evolution of Life, and Man's Role in Evolution
Lillian was put out that Man should have a whole floor
   There is a new Children's Gallery, which is meant to be more "hands-on" and "multimedia."  I think I am spoiled by Ottawa's new Museum of Nature because I was not blown away.  There were lots of neat National Geographic videos of animals, and neat stuff for the kids to look at, but very little for them to actually do.  The girls did enjoy checking out this part of the museum.

Neither Lillian nor I could see much in the microscope, but that didn't stop us from trying

Better than a puppy?
Lillian read about zooplankton and phytoplankton and Sylvia read about sea life.  "You know, the food chain.  The whales are the biggest and the plankton are the smallest."

Our quick metro ride home also took us over the Seine and gave us a nice view of the Eiffel Tower


No comments:

Post a Comment