Sunday, March 17, 2013

London: Victoria and Albert Museum

We are standing in front of one of Nick's displays.  The two cases tell all about some of the first directors of the museum and their travels to acquire objects for the museum's collection.
 My friend, Nick, is an archivist at the Victoria and Albert Museum.  I met Nick at my grad school dorm, where Nick, Pierre, and I shared many a meal.  Nick was kind enough to take the day off to hang out with us.
 The museum has different trails for families and we began with the Tudor Trail.

 The museum is huge and the collection is impressive.  We stopped for a snack in this amazing dining room.  There are three dining rooms (the Gamble Room, the William Morris Room, and the Edward Pynter Room) all designed by famous designers of the time.  We ate in the Gamble Room.  It was designed in part by Henry Cole, the museum's first director.  The ceramics serve to make the room both hygienic and fireproof.  The kitchens were still outside the main building.  Nick is an expert on Henry Cole and one of his displays is all about him.

I was trying to read the sayings around the room and couldn't manage.  The world wide web has come through and provided me with some of them: Hunger is the best sauce.  A good cup makes all young.  
There is nothing better for a man than that he should eat and drink, and make his soul enjoy the good of his labour.  Ecclesiastes II, 24
 I was quite happy to be inside with a warm cup of coffee; outside wind whipped and the snow fell.
 Cool chandelier over the information desk
 Earliest Shakespeare folio in existence
The theater area had many costumes from old and new productions and some costumes to try on.
The Architectural Courts feature plaster castes of many of the worlds architectural masterpieces.  There is a full sized model of Michelangelo's David.  I need an expert to explain to me how this process is done.  I don't understand.
I hope to come back to the V and A to take my time and enjoy more of the museum.  The building is amazing and there is so much to see.  Thanks, Nick!

No comments:

Post a Comment