Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Monmartre with Mémé and Pépé

It was a beautiful sunny day and we decided we had better get out and enjoy it.  We headed to Monmartre.  Little did we know, so did everyone else!  It was much more crowded than when the girls and I went this summer. 



When the girls and I climbed the hill and the tower this summer? I took some nice photos.   After pushing our way up the stairs through a huge crowd, we  managed to wedge ourselves behind some cottages that were part of the Christmas market and I took this unimpressive shot of the view.  We did not even make it into the church because the crowd was so crazy. 
Between Boxing Day and January 6th all Merry-go-rounds in Paris were free!  Sylvia took advantage.  Lillian, no matter how often I pointed out the older kids and adults on board, refused.

We bumped into a museum in the neighbourhood and decided we should go inside. 
Renoir had his studio nearby.  The girls posed for La Balançoire
Pierre-Auguste Renoir,La balançoire,© Musée d'Orsay, dist. RMN-Grand Palais / Patrice Schmidt


Monmartre Vinyard
According to Wikipedia: The Musée de Montmartre is in the house where the painter Maurice Utrillo lived and worked in a second-floor studio. The mansion in the garden at the back is the oldest hotel on Montmartre, and one of its first owners was Claude Roze, also known as Roze de Rosimond, who bought it in 1680. Roze was the actor who replaced Molière, and, like his predecessor, died on stage. The house was Pierre-Auguste Renoir's first Montmartre address and many other names moved through the premises.
Professional Metro Riders

No comments:

Post a Comment