Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Musée des Arts Forains

Last weekend, the girls and I went to Musée des Arts Forains.  (Museum of Funfairs)
Follow the link to the website and watch the video to get an idea of what the place is like.

A long time ago, a colleague of Pierre's had said that her boys loved this place.  Unfortunately, I got off at the wrong metro stop.  Fortunately, a very kind young man walked with us for about twenty minutes to help us find the museum.  As we neared the museum, a woman working at a bakery ran outside and handed us two free tickets.  The French are winning me over with cake, free tickets, and kindness.  
The other day I had to return some socks that I had bought Pierre for Christmas.  I needed to swap them for a different size and was not looking forward to it because I didn't have a receipt and the French don't like returns.  However, now I know the drill.  If you are willing to be publicly shamed and willing to use your most unctuous manner, you will probably prevail.
I told the man that I had made a mistake.  When he asked for the receipt and I told him I didn't have one.  He said he couldn't help me.  I stood there for several seconds looking hopeless.  He told me he could make an exception, but that I had better not ever forget my receipt again.  I assured him it would never happen again.  I swapped the socks and waited another 15 minutes to get back to the counter.  It took forever and he dramatically scanned his manager card each time.  After we finished, he asked me where I was from.  When I told him, he said, "Now you can't say that the French weren't nice to you."  I saw this gentleman in the grocery store the next day and he gave me a big,
 "Bonjour, Madame."

 Back to the Musée
We went on the last day of school vacation and it was busy, but we were glad we went.  It has lots of merry-go-rounds and old fair rides and many of them you can give a whirl.  There are shows going on continually--magic shows, singing, etc.
 This merry-go-round is powered by parent pedal power.  The kids sit on the front of the wheels on padded benches.  It was fun and a bit precarious.
 
 Sylvia rode many of merry-go rounds.
Most of these were beautiful antiques and a few were powered by pushing or pedaling.
 Racing waiters!  Lillian tried this twice and got 2nd place the second time.
 There is also an outside area that has more merry-go-rounds and there is food and drink for sale.






1 comment:

  1. I really like these tender stories of the French a lot.

    ReplyDelete