Saturday, January 18, 2014

Back to Our Routine

 Honestly, after our vacation full of travel and family, I was not ready to return to our routine.  It took us at least a week to get back into the swing of things.
French President François Hollande has been making the news for all of the wrong reasons.

Pierre took us to The Wall of Philip Augustus in the 4th arrondissement.  It is the largest remnant of an enclosure built by Philip Augustus in 1190, more than eight centuries ago.  Then, because I think we need to any chance we get, we went and ate some falafel and shwarma.
 Lillian's class is reading this American classic.
 I wandered over by La République and Canal St. Martin, among many hipsters half my age.  

In 1879, a competition, to design a great monument devoted to the newly-proclaimed Third Republic, was won by the Morice brothers, Léopold Morice for the statuary and relief-panels of historic scenes, and his architect brother Charles Morice for the base. Two inauguration ceremonies took place, the first on 14 July 1880 with a gypsum model, and the second on 14 July 1883 with the final version in bronze
 It is not Amsterdam, but I did find a nice café and a yummy crêpe.
We have mastered the "fish tail" bracelet.  My mom and sister helped to bring this bracelet making magic into our lives.  I cleaned our apartment today and found little brightly colored rubber bands everywhere.
The most important news around here is that we have a new niece!  We are thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment