Nick, Ernestos, Pierre, and I all met at the fabulous Cronkhite Graduate Center. By the time I arrived, Pierre was a resident advisor and had scored an enormous room. I met Nick and Ernestos one of the first days on campus. The last time I saw Nick is when I married Cher Pierre over 10 years ago. Ernestos drove a big company car from Chicago to Milwaukee to visit me and Baby Lillian about 8 years ago.
Mission Crepes!
We headed down to Marché President Wilson for some breakfast crepes.
![]() |
| The Thinkers |
Pierre and Sylvia went home for some R and R and the rest of us walked in the rain to Musée Rodin. We managed to run through most of the sculpture garden before the rain turned into a downpour.
The Parthenon and a Cypriot Ern
The museum is in an amazing old mansion. I have visited this museum before, but I hadn't learn that it had been a convent that was then turned into a house where artists could rent rooms. Rodin rented a room and then rooms here, as did many notable painters, writers, dancers, etc. I don't have any great photos of the gardens or exterior because of the rain.
Ernestos suggested that we get tickets to the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Grand Palais. I was so glad that we went; it is one of my favorite exhibits of all time. I had only really seen his top five most popular prints before the exhibit and I didn't love all of them. I was surprised by the variety. Who knew he did etchings and watercolors (in New Mexico!)? Hopper visited Paris three different times and spoke French. I read all about Hopper on wikipedia before going and bored my friends with fascinating tidbits about his life.
We capped off the rainy weekend with a visit to Musée D'Orsay. My photo doesn't really show you just how many people were waiting in the rain. The line zigzagged forever! I flashed my annual pass and was able to whisk my friends right into the side entrance.
Thanks for coming! I hope we make it to see you both! Come back soon!








Well, now, these gentlemen! I've had brunch with them! And I think later Ernestos gave me a vigorous shoulder rub! Fantastic. Meanwhile, this also reminds me of some stories I heard about Pierre in his large suite. Sounds like wild times!
ReplyDeleteI think the brunch did happen. The rest is fiction--something at which you excel. http://www.peterrockproject.com/books/the-shelter-cycle/index.html
ReplyDeletesounds wonderful!! so glad you have friends visiting - always makes being away much easier :)...great adventures. well done. i studied hopper in University...he is the one who painted the night view into a diner on the corner right? ... reminds me of alex colville's work.
ReplyDeletehooray for annual passes. :)