Thursday, October 18, 2012

Louvre's new Department of Islamic Art

The Louvre's Department of Islamic Art has reopened.  A new building, built inside one of the original courtyards, and many new acquisitions have been added for this new opening. The new building has been called "the magic carpet" because of the modern, metallic roof that undulates as if it is in motion.  The walls are glass and I liked how you could see the walls of the courtyard through all of the windows.
 
Last weekend, two of my friends from graduate school came for a visit.  When we moved to Paris I e-mailed them both and said that now that we were closer they would have to visit.  Nick lives in London and Ernestos lives in Athens.  I was so happy they came to see us.  Pierre had a lot of quality time with our girls and let me enjoy Paris with my friends.
 
 Here I am looking down at the roof of the new building from one of the wings of the original Louvre. 


 This shot is straight up at the roof
 The collection is astounding and well organized.
Wooden carvings of writing form the 14th century!
 How do you move an old mosaic to a museum?



 
Mona


 From the Louvre, Nick and and headed to La Musée des Arts Décoratifs, which is housed in one of the wings of the Louvre.  Nick works at the Victoria and Albert Museum and a colleague had told him he should check it out.  The permanent collection is impressive, although it costs about as much as the Louvre and there is much less to see and much less variety.  There was an immense Star Wars exhibit that we both enjoyed.  Nick had actually owned some of the toys on display.  I remembered my best friend in preschool enjoying a good chew on Princess Leïa's head.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for teaching me a new word, Sara. Pete must also have said something I would have had to look up in the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete