
From the Fontainebleau website:
Both famous and fabulous in equal measure, the Chinese Museum and
rooms built to Eugenie’s specifications in 1863 housed her collection of
Far-Eastern treasures. Some of these came from the imperial furniture
depository (mainly revolutionary plunder), while others were
acquisitions made by Napoleon III and Eugenie from the Sack of the
Summer Palace in Peking by the Franco-British soldiers in 1860. The
collection also included diplomatic gifts from the Ambassador of Siam
who visited Fontainebleau in 1861.
The Empress had three large rooms next to her husband's office. She used these rooms to relax and to entertain.
After visiting the museum, we took a break for lunch. Lillian's pizza looked like a fish and had a fabulous tail, which I managed to block out with my finger. Maybe I was feeling a little nervous, maybe I sensed that disaster was imminent. After I took this picture Lillian dumped her water and limonade right into my lap. Luckily, yesterday's jeans were waiting for me in a nearby parking garage.


No comments:
Post a Comment