Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ethel's Sugar Cookies

My mom made sure that there were always plenty of Christmas cookies in the house.  She made many different kinds and had many strategic hiding places; there always seemed to be some more cookies in the freezer.  I don't seem to have her energy, but we do manage to  crank out some of "Ethel's Sugar Cookies" every year.  Who is Ethel?  Maybe my mom knows.
 Thirteen years ago I asked her for copies of all of her Christmas cookie recipes.
 Ethel's Sugar Cookies

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Mix thoroughly: 3/4 cup soft butter (part shortening if you want--I don't), 1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Add: 2 and 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.

Chill for a short time (my mom and I don't always do this), roll, cut, and put on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Sugar if you want and then  6-10 minutes depending on your oven.  Or, wait until they are baked and frost them.

Thanks, Ethel!


We have a pretty new snowflake cookie cutter from my sweet sister-in-law, Grace.

1 comment:

  1. oh my dear i want to eat the entire post!! beautiful cookies, beautiful bakers...hooray for ethel.

    ReplyDelete