Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Parc Montsouris field trip with Lil

Last week I accompanied Lillian's class on a field trip to Parc Montsouris.  The permission slip mentioned "orientation" and I was not really sure what to expect.  We were lucky to have a beautiful day.  There were lots of parents and we loaded the entire class on the metro.  The girls all wanted to know if I knew ABBA.  Why?  They like the songs and they are in English, I guess.
The park is lovely and there were many school groups and map professionals in place to begin.  Our professional was wearing leg warmers!

 
 She passed out the maps and explained to the kids the objective of the activity.  The kids needed to find  21 lamp posts marked on the map and write down the numbers on the lamp post.  Because we are in France, they could NOT walk on the grass. 

The French like rules and they are particular about the grass.  Now there are many "Pelouse au repos" signs.  The city even has a reminder on the website to remind people that it is their obligation to stay off the grass so that it will be lovely next year. http://www.paris.fr/loisirs/parcs-jardins-squares/horaires-fonctionnement-reglementation/la-qualite-des-pelouses-c-est-aussi-votre-affaire/rub_7481_stand_23766_port_17279

We recently outfitted ourselves for the public swimming pools.  We all need swim caps.  When I was at the store, I explained that my handsome husband was bald and I asked if he, too, needed a swim cap.  Of course, a rule is a rule.  Men must also wear Speedo style suits or slightly longer tight shorts.  When I have asked about this, I am told it is about hygiene.  I need to stop having this conversation because it leaves me feeling like a dirty foreigner.
When I told the mother of one of Lillian's classmates that I was told I needed to buy a swim cap for my husband, she said, "Well, of course, a rule is a rule."  Moving here has really helped me see myself as a rebel.
More on hygiene in Paris pools here: http://www.paris.fr/accueil/sport/a-la-piscine-c-est-du-propre/rub_9631_actu_104890_port_23699
If any kids had a map like mine with 2 fourteens on it, they were probably very confused.  Lillian said that it was fun for about the first 3.  I was just glad that the sun was shining and that it wasn't raining like it had most of the week.  I am sure that the kids would have been expected to find all 21 even if the weather had been miserable. 
These kids are tired out!  We made it back just in time to pick up Sylvia at 4:30.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks to your sister, you do know ABBA! Chiquitita is kind of in Spanish, but as far as "Does your Mother Know" or "Dancing Queen," you have the keys to the kingdom!

    ReplyDelete