Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Easter Sunday in Athens

 Red eggs (in Greek: kokkina avga, κόκκινα αυγά, pronounced KOH-kee-nah ahv-GHAH) are perhaps the brightest symbol of Greek Easter, representing the blood of Christ and rebirth. The eggs are traditionally dyed with yellow onion skins.  
We were happy to find a bakery open to buy something for breakfast.  The woman working insisted that we all take a hard boiled egg and wished us Happy Easter.
 Traditional Easter bread with a red egg in the middle
 We walked over to the National Gardens to play before catching a taxi to the airport.
 Lillian was thrilled they had monkey bars.

 Guess who convinced her dad that she needed a kitty purse for her birthday?
We ate at outside at a restaurant on a pedestrian street.  Many of the restaurants were roasting entire lambs on spits outside.  The girls (and I) thought this looked disgusting.  I have to admit that it smelled delicious.
This is my favorite Euro.  The owl is a symbol of Athena, Goddess of wisdom.
I am so glad we had the chance to visit Greece.
Home again.
I think this is the first time it has really felt like coming home...probably only because we have booked the movers.

No comments:

Post a Comment