Thursday, June 27, 2013

Kermesse Cookies

Tomorrow night is Kermesse.  Today I was busy baking chocolate chip cookies.  Many bakeries here sell cookies, but I don't think they use brown sugar.  My job is to introduce the French to the subtly chewy cookie.  Our oven here provides very uneven heat and my cookies are various shades of golden brown.
Parents donate things to the snack table and the kids get a ticket to spend on baked goods.  By the time I meet up with the girls in the courtyard after school, they will be on their way to a giddy sugar high.
I picked up these chocolate chips at one of my favorite shops in Paris, G. Detou.  Paired with some Mexican vanilla, a gift from my sister, these cookies are a step above your usual ho-hum chocolate chips.  Mémé carried over about 100 pounds of chocolate chips in her suitcase last time she visited.  I still have a stash of the milk chocolate, but I couldn't resist these dark chunks.
Yesterday, after morning piano lessons, we met up with the girls' Ottawa piano teacher.  Carla and her husband Brian are in town taking in the sights.  It was great to see them, even if it made me miss my Ottawa friends.  I should have snapped a photo of Carla and the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment