Sunday, June 2, 2013

Piano, Daisies, Chinatown...

After more than a year hiatus, we are back to piano lesson.  The teacher is an American who is living his dream of living in Paris.  He comes right to our house on Wednesday morning.  Remember, the girls don't have school on Wednesday.  Sylvia has been enjoying dressing up like me and Lillian.  Thanks to our generous friend (and my stupidity) the girls have two matching shirts.
Sylvia had her last official Daisy meeting and will fly up to become a Brownie at camp out.  Her leader is moving back to London and we will miss her and her daughter.  Once when the leader's daughter came over here, Sylvia gave her a headband and now they wear matching headbands at every meeting.  One thing I am not loving about being an expat is that everyone keeps moving.  I have now made some good friends, and many of them will be leaving this summer.    
We celebrated Fête des Mères, which is on a different day than North American Mother's Day.  I was spoiled with gifts from school, lovely cards, and some new books.  
 I ate some dim sum in Paris's small Chinatown.  A friend, who organized the outing, took charge and made sure that we were all very well fed.  After eating, we went to the Asian hyper-marché.  I should have taken some photos of the many noodle varieties, all of the Asian vegetables, etc.  I need to look at some recipes, get organized and return.
 All over Paris you will find Wallace Fountains.  They come in three varieties and were put in by Richard Wallace, a wealthy and eccentric Brit who adopted Paris.  The fountains are usually green, but this one in Chinatown is painted red. The ladies represent kindness, simplicity, charity, and sobriety.
Why did Wallace choose to install fountains?  According to Wikipedia:  As a result of the siege of Paris and the Commune episode, many aqueducts had been destroyed, and the price of water, already higher than normal, went up considerably. Because of this, most of the poor had to pay for water. The temptation to take to liquor was strong among the lower classes, and it was considered a moral duty to keep them from falling into alcoholism.

 Thanks, Grambee and Jim.  Sylvia is enjoying her birthday subscription to Ranger Rick. 
 I have one more TEFL class and then I am certified to teach English. 

1 comment:

  1. Ranger Rick! I know that old raccoon so well. I'm sure you can stick the stickers to Sylvia's bedroom window.

    ReplyDelete