Wednesday, September 18, 2013

France: Chamonix Mont-Blanc

We got up early to drive to Mont Blanc; visibility is best in the morning.
We took the tram up to the top.  I grew up skiing and did not think that the height would bother me at all.  I was wrong.  In my old age, I am very cynical about any engineering.  The metal cables seemed way too thin to me.  There is also a point near the top where the whole tram swoops down and back up again as if someone has snapped a rubber band.  Everyone else made the "OOO!" sound you hear people making on roller coasters.  I gripped the bar more tightly and prayed as I watched my life flash before my eyes.
It was freezing at the top.  We wore all of our clothes and were better prepared than a lot of the people riding up with us, but it was still cold.  Sylvia was cold and unhappy and I was still shaking from the ride.  The restaurant and shop at the top seemed very precariously perched on the mountain.  Also, all of the stairs leading to the various decks, were made of metal mesh, so you could imagine your body falling all the way to the bottom (or, at least, that is what I was doing).  The view from the top was amazing.
You can take an elevator through this cliff and up to the very top.  Sylvia and I stayed below as Lil and Pierre ventured higher.









No comments:

Post a Comment