Thursday, September 12, 2013

Venice, Italy: Ca' Rezzonico

9! and 7! and one of my favorite photos from our trip.



Pierre did a masterful job navigating  through streets on the mainland until we came to the parking lot where the locals park for five Euros a night.  It was a gravel parking lot and I was a little worried, but we took most of our stuff with us, and it was a rental car, and it was cheap.
 We had enough foresight to stop at a English Language bookstore in Munich. 
 
 We wound through the narrow streets to our hotel.  It was hot and crowded...and still quite magical.



 
to prepare for our trip to Venice.  Some very important scenes take place in the Ca' Rezzonico
According to Wikipedia:
American songwriter and composer Cole Porter rented Ca' Rezzonico for $4,000 a month in the 1920s.  Porter engaged 50 gondoliers to act as footmen and employed a troupe of high-rope walkers to "perform in a blaze of coloured lights".

In 1935, after lengthy negotiations, Ca' Rezzonico was acquired by City Council of Venice to display the vast collections of 18th-century Venetian art, which lack of space prevented its display in the Correr Museum.


 Now and then, I would turn to Pierre and say, "Doesn't that remind you of Ottawa?"
 There was a fountain at the museum with a turtle and an enormous carp. 

 I like masks about as much as I like clowns, so we steered away from purchasing any carnival masks.  I thought these were some of the nicest we saw and they are still super creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment