Sunday, September 15, 2013

Murano: The Island of Glass

Murano is the largest island in the lagoon.  It was already inhabited in Roman times.  In 1291 glass furnaces were moved here from Venice.  Because of the very high temperatures; there was always a risk of fire.  As a result, the island began to specialize in glass production.
 I was not sure whether we should take the time to go to the island of Murano.  Searching for opinions online led me nowhere.  People were definitely split as to if it was worth it to go.  Lillian consulted her book and decided that we should go.  We discussed going to Burano, which is know as the island of lace, but Murano won.  I would recommend it.  
We took the vaperetto out to the island and followed the signs and other tourist
to the free glassblowing demonstration.  We watched as a man blew a vase and made a glass horse with just a few twists with his fancy pliers.
Glass horse being born.
 We all thought it was very cool.  Lillian was amazed.  "This belongs on my list of most awesomest things."  She went on to say that she didn't have such a list, but that she should.  She then kept repeating it.  "I know I keep repeating it, but WOW!" 

 The main shops are up and down a canal.  We enjoyed walking up and down and looking in all the windows.  It was amazing to see all the different things people were making out of glass.  There were beautiful things, super tacky things, and everything in between.   I should have taken some photos of the shop windows.
 In the main area of Murano where all of the shops are, there are several cool glass sculptures.

 Happy Girls??  
Back in Venice we at at a restaurant near our hotel.  We ate early and were seated in a courtyard by ourselves.  This led to much silliness and dancing, which was fine because there was no one there to bother.
 While we were in Venice, Pierre ate as much squid ink as he could.  That white block is polenta and the black stuff is fish in squid ink.  Pierre says it was delicious.
 The girls decided that they love pesto.  For this mother of a nine year old vegetarian, this is good news.
While waiting for our boat back to the mainland, we enjoyed reading the signs that were posted in six or seven languages.  I hate pigeons!  
I was pleased to find our rental car in pristine condition exactly where it was when we left it.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Sometimes I draw parallels in my mind between this time you are living over there to back when the Rocks (sorry, you weren't burned) lived in Europe. I have to admit, though, that I think you're doing a much better and more authentic and enthusiastic job of it. Face on us.

    ReplyDelete