Sunday, September 8, 2013

Munich, Germany: Lenbachhaus Museum, the clock in the new town hall, and the market

Blaues Pferd I, 1911 by Franz Marc
Many years ago, my brother, Pete, was a security guard at The Johnson Museum of Art in Ithaca, New York.   Kandinsky's Small Pleasures was there at the time and it has stuck with me.  This was about twenty years ago and I still have the postcard.  Anyway, when I read about the The Lenbachhaus Museum in Munich, I knew I wanted to go.
The museum focus on the work of Der Blaue Reiter  or the Blue Rider Group.
 Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider) was a group of artists from the Neue Künstlervereinigung München in Munich, Germany. The group was founded by a number of Russian emigrants, including Wassily Kandinsky, Alexej von Jawlensky, Marianne von Werefkin, and native German artists, such as Franz Marc, August Macke and Gabriele Münter. Der Blaue Reiter was a movement lasting from 1911 to 1914, fundamental to Expressionism, along with Die Brücke which was founded in 1905.
Sylvia and I took about 20 photos of this chandelier in the ticket area.  This is the best one, but it doesn't really show how cool it is.
Sylvia surrounded by Kandinsky
This was painted near Garmisch, Germany in the Alps.  If you look carefully, you can see a couple in traditional Bavarian dress at the bottom center near the boat.  Good luck!
More Kandinsky
Franz Marc painted a lot of animals, so Sylvia was happy.  Lillian would have liked it better if we had dropped her off at the Science museum.  We did not attempt to explore the entire museum; we stuck to the area of the museum that deals with the Blue Rider Group. It is an enormous modern art museum.  I was very happy that we went.
The Rathaus-Glockenspiel of Munich is a tourist attraction in Marienplatz the heart of Munich.
Part of the second construction phase of the New Town Hall, it dates from 1908. Every day at 11 a.m. (as well as 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. in summer) it chimes and re-enacts two stories from the 16th century to the amusement of mass crowds of tourists and locals. It consists of 43 bells and 32 life-sized figures. The top half of the Glockenspiel tells the story of the marriage of the local Duke Wilhelm V (who also founded the world famous Hofbräuhaus) to Renata of Lorraine. In honour of the happy couple there is a joust with life-sized knights on horseback representing Bavaria (in white and blue) and Lothringen (in red and white). The Bavarian knight wins every time of course.
This is then followed by the bottom half and second story: Schäfflertanz (the coopers' dance). According to myth, 1517 was a year of plague in Munich. The coopers are said to have danced through the streets to, "bring fresh vitality to fearful dispositions." 
The whole show lasts somewhere between 12 and 15 minutes long depending on which tune it plays that day. At the very end of the show, a very small golden bird at the top of the Glockenspiel chirps three times, marking the end of the spectacle.
We were not the only tourists enjoy the show.
We walked a few blocks to Viktualienmarkt to find some lunch.  We saw maypoles in most of the  Bavarian towns we visited.
We found a yummy soup restaurant.  The tomato basil soup was delicious.
Sisters: The love is strong and the anger is fast and furious.  Here they show each other some love on Munich's subway.  Of all of the places I have visited in Europe, so far Paris has the prize for the dirtiest subway.

1 comment:

  1. fantastic! I'm so glad you saw and enjoyed franz marc's work. he's another of my favourites. i still remember the first time I saw the yellow cow :) the soup looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete